Thursday, April 11, 2013

Monster Cake

Now most of you have seen photos of my kids birthday parties and yes I know I go a little crazy, but I love doing it!  Everytime my kids hear the word "Birthday" they automatically ask me if I am going to make a Birthday Cake.  Since my birthday is coming up next week, I decided to post some of the birthday cakes I've made, starting with Liam's 2nd Birthday Monster Cake!



With making a decorative cake there are a few things you are going to need that you won't think about, the most important other than cake pans, decorating bags and tips is a Cake Leveler, to cut off the dome shape on the top of your cake.  Next your going to need a metal Spatula, these are a must for smoothing out your icing.  Then your going to need a Turntable to make decorating your cake easier!  

The icing recipe I use can be found here Extra Special Buttercream Icing.  It has a nice flavor and texture to it.  For coloring, I use AmeriColor Soft Gel Paste coloring that can be found at Hobby Lobby or Cake Specialty Stores.

I didn't take pictures of putting the Monster Cake together before icing, so I'll have to post another tutorial on that later.  

The cake itself is made of 5 layers of cake with icing between each layer.  The cakes are made with Pillsbury White Cake mix (yes I use box cake mixes on my cakes, I've found if I use a homemade recipe they are too moist and don't hold up as well). 


This is the base of the cake (4 leveled layers of cake and the top layer is the leftover cake cut off to form the rounded part)  I then put a layer of icing on cake.  As you can see I didn't get it really smooth because I knew I would be covering it up with piping.  

 
I piped a band at the bottom using a 1M (large star) tip then using a 5 (small dot) tip I started adding the Monster fur!  With the fur I pushed the tip in the iced cakes and pulled out while squeezing the icing bag until it was the length I wanted it, before you pull away stop squeezing! 

  

The Monster fur took about 3 hours to pipe!  And my hand hurt and was purple afterwards!  For the Eyes and Mouth I used Wilton Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant and used AmeriColor Soft Gel Paste in Black for the mouth and eye balls.  For the eyes, I used a cookie cutter and the mouth I free-handed using this fondant cutter.

Happy 2nd Birthday Liam!


7 comments:

  1. That is an awesome cake. I don't think I would have the patience to work on a cake for over 3 hours.

    Jennifer @ http://moneyaches.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jennifer! Cake decorating is so easy and fun, that you don't even realize you just spent 3+ hours on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cake! How did you make the top rounded? Did you use a special cake pan?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Question!! The cake is made of 4 layers (leveled using a cake leveler) I then took the extra cake that was leveled from the 4 layers to create the rounded top.

    Hopefully this helps answer your question, if not, please let me know and I can make a post about leveling off cakes and using the extras!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to see a post about leveling these cakes to make it look like the monster you made.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great!! I'm doing something similar to that. Wondering if I could use a grass tip to save time?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, the grass tip would save lots of time!

    ReplyDelete